Monday, January 1, 2007

mera des!

Well my first ever blog ,"Finally"! In a way lemme boast that i didn't have enough time to kill in my life so this time i get one and wanna relish that feel!I return after a year and a half to India n tend to scavenge on any food that I see!Food here would mean any thing that grew in the Indian soil and is consumable.Air India is one of the best carrier! People curse it n i still dunno why! reason I Surmize:when u want daaru n u see the air hostess, she reminds u of ur grandma , u feel awkward, u like to respect her age so end up drinking a cola. But for those like me who quit drinking occasionally or every now n then , n can withstand a 32 hour dry flight: air India is the best carrier! why? Food saar!

the flight lands at chatrapati shivaji antarrashtriya vimaan adda!i just cant wait to get out and feel the desi hawa! i go to the baggage claim area to receive my two huge bags! one of the custom official keeps an eye on me and was pretty sure that he has found a moron whos gonna be fooled. he comes to me and tells"Bees dhedho samaan bahar aa jayega" i.e. give me 20 and I'll make sure ur baggage is cleared. I say i don't have any illegal possession. he uses some technical and constitutional jargons , makes me feel that I am a terrorist whose gonna get a capital punishment!I fear and give him 10 bucks to clear it! i come out of the airport to meet my friend who was patient enough to wait for three hours!

i immediately see a restaurant and just rush to have a poori bhaji and filter coffee. i then want to cross the road and head to the parkin lot, but in vain. i realised i lost my crossing skills. i just picked up the courage to barge in through the traffic and reach the other end. trust me there was a fair amount of self satisfaction after the successful cross over.

Food is somethin I miss a lot. look at the intricacies we have in our cookin! like the thadka! theres a fair amount of risk involved with burstin of kadipattha and raai, but is worth the risk! all the firangs can do with aaloo is mashed potatoes, but here it goes with anythin n everything!

I go for a movie"bhaagam bhaag" during the intermission i come out to have somethin. a coke and a burger would cost me rs75, i said am ok with a rs15 georgia coffee which had like 6 tablespoon of coffee in it. i had to drink it fast before it got evaporated.the malls here are not expensive but the price tags "OUTRAGEOUS"

I also had the opportunity to drive from nerul to goregaon which like an hour na half drive. the lights are seldom followed. at one point of time i felt that the lights are intimidated and forced to change depending on the intensity and emotions of the vehicles. They say if u can drive in India u can drive anywhere in the world!Very true!

at the end of the day its a fantastic experience to see ur friends and family. If lifestyle is what u want theres always the green bill, but if life is what u need probably for me its mera des!

11 comments:

Razi said...

HI SUNDER,
I LIKED THE WAY U HAVE DESCRIBED UR TRIP BACK TO MUMBAI.ITS IMAGINATIVE,THOUGHTFUL AND SHOWS INTELECT TOO.
IT SEEMD U R WELL READ AND I WOULD LIKE TOREAD MORE OF UR BLOGS.SO KEEP WRITING.
RAZI

brighteyes1978 said...

Sunder Sunder...How I wish I was there in India... I am so incredibly sad that I had to cancel my trip, but thank you for articulating such a vivid and beautiful picture of India so I make sure to make it there very soon. Your writing is poetic. I look forward to reading more. Take care, Yaar.

Nevil said...

dude ...sale india mein hai and u stat writing blogs....!! case with me was i started writing of boredom cos i had notthing really to do!.....finally good to see u write buddy!
let the torch of 614 always shine!!

Shantesh said...

crossing skills hahahaha...felt apnapaan..and could feel like as if i am visiting mumbai..sahi hai yaar...enjoy your stay !!!! aaur haamare liye VAADA PAAV aur CUTTING leke aa !!

ajit nafde said...

I assume you are admiring all the 'flaws' of the 'system'. and the food. and the stench. the heat. monsoon in mumbai. being a part of all this , and more, is ethereal. my defination of bliss and comfort.

"home..home again. when i come home cold and tired..it feels good to warm my bones beside the fire..
and far away across the fields, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees...to hear the softly spoken magic spell....." - Pink Floyd




(BTW - I am the friend who waited patiently for three hours at the airport)

Unknown said...

sunder nice blog dude...really india is the place to be..i had the same experience when i was in India...anyways dude carry on writing such nice and intellectual blogs....

Neetal said...

so a little correction... i meant you write really good... somehow i ate few words

Neetal said...

Looking forward for new post.... Presumably a nice poem...

Thank you for your comment, it was really nice of you :)

Unknown said...

shabaash......antop ka naam ooncha kar raha hain tu!

Unknown said...

Hi Sundar
Ek dum acha hai

Ninju said...

This blog makes me wonder whether we indians cannot be happy in a functional environment.. The roads in America dont have pot holes.. traffic is regulated.. No open gutters.. Food is hygenic .. Ideal environment..

Our Indian born american confused guy is not happy with all that.. He misses the shit that he so happily left behind..


P.s
Sunder u would have made ajith or me wait for three hours even if u are sitting home.. So Ajith waiting for u is taken for granted.. Airport or no airport